Tuesday, November 10, 2009

What a Story!

I have been wanting to do this post, but am at a loss for words. How does one put into words the feelings that come with the birth of their child? I will try to share a glimpse of the incredible happenings...starting with the beginning.
the birth story
As I had posted before, it was my hope and desire to give birth naturally. On Friday, 06 Nov. there was just something in my heart that knew it was THE day. The day we would finally meet our little girl. We decided to go on a long walk that day (it had become our daily activity) at Freedom Park. Then, I took a nap b/c you need lots of rest "just in case." After I woke up my water broke. I wasn't experiencing contractions at the time and from what we had read and researched we had plenty of time. I talked to our Doula, Brooke, who said the same. So, we went to Mac's for dinner. At some point during dinner I started to experience some contractions, so we went back home. At around 7:30 I talked to Brooke again b/c my contractions were so close together and pretty intense. (we were still thinking we had a long time ahead of us) I did my best to rest between, and Adam was the best coach ever...constantly encouraging me, rubbing my back, doing whatever needed to be done. At this point I wasn't sure I was going to make it. Just before 10pm we called Brooke back b/c nothing changed...they continued to be intense and close together. Since we were delivering in Concord, Brooke said she'd feel better if we were closer, so we decided to head to my sister's since she lives up there. Adam packed up the car and we were on our way. The moment we pulled out of the driveway I felt the urge to push. And we still had the trek up 85...with hazards on and going about 80 we were on our way to my sister's. With each contraction, though, I wanted to push. We had Brooke on the phone with us, and decided that we needed to go straight to the hospital. We pulled up and I told the lady at the desk that I needed to push (not register). The nurses took me back to check me and I was "complete" (i.e. 10 cm and ready to push). I knew this!! So, they took me to a room and I was ready...except we had to then wait for the doctor before I could push. Brooke got there just when we did. My sister and mom were there to take care of the registering so Adam could be with me. Once the doctor was there I was ready to go! I pushed through a few contractions and then decided I wanted to use a squatting bar. This was the best! After 2 contractions with the bar, Charis was born.


minutes after birth...LOVE her!!
I was so proud of myself. I really did it. I really just gave birth to this amazingly beautiful girl without drugs! I did it with the amazing support of my husband (he was the best and most perfect coach). We did it with the amazing support of Brooke. And I would say that the pre-natal yoga and research was helpful. But, ultimately, I had let go of what I wanted and the desire to prove myself, and trust that God was in control.

a picture of the new family!
Adam and I both realized that this feeling you get when you have a baby doesn't necessarily come instantly. There is no "way" it's supposed to feel. But that it's very individual and very amazing. When she was born, I was just overwhelmed. I knew I loved this little girl instantly and I just couldn't believe how much God loved me to give me this little lady to love. I'm still pretty overwhelmed. I just want to look at her and kiss all over her. I am definitely doing my best to enjoy these moments...I am. I am loving every moment of this.

I just love this picture...she was bobbing her head

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Amy I can't believe this story! I had no idea how quickly it happened and I'm so proud of you Mama. Can't wait to see you and sweet baby Charis. XOXO

Courtney said...

Oh my goodness, she's beautiful. I just tried emailing you but for some reason my yahoo account wouldn't let me send. I tried 3 sitters again today with no luck, I promise I'm coming back as soon as I can get out when Jason is back. Can't wait to see Charis in person.