Friday, April 16, 2010

Friday Night Soapbox

It's Friday night and Adam is on a men's retreat. I've been wanting to soapbox about this so here it goes. Get ready for a silly and ridiculous post.

I admit, I know nothing about marketing and advertising. But, why do companies advertise their products with life who will be destroyed or eaten. Okay, I know that doesn't make sense. And let me just start by saying I cannot stand commercials. I will jump from station to station (out of 10 channels) just to avoid them. Anyway, I know you've all seen these commercials. They give life to a character that isn't real AND that's going to get eaten or killed, but they never address this. Let me jog your memory.
#1 the Frosted Mini Wheats...the little squares show up while a kid is eating a bowl of their friends. Run! Get out of there! You are next...frosted, blueberry, strawberry and cinnamon.
#2 Mucinex...I'm not saying I love being sick, but how gross is the little Mucus family that gets evicted from their home in some one's nasal cavity?! Seriously? I understand getting cleared up, but do we need to give the mucus life? Does that help the product sell? I don't know.

#3 Spam...Recently Spam has had a major marketing campaign. It's not convincing me. You've seen this one with all the eggs in class who are totally bored. Then Spam comes in and the party gets started and the eggs "head butt" each other and crack. Uh, that means the little egg students are going to die.

Poor Adam has to hear me complain about these ads every time we see them. They are so weird.

5 comments:

nancy said...

Yeah.. I appreciate your loathing of commercials... We don't actually switch channels, Julie is the worst to do that, so we do see a few. What I HATE... ok my turn on the soapbox... is fast food commercials. That's not life... that's death and it's killing our kids. Joel Furhman, MD states in his book that you might as well let your kids smoke and drink whisky at the table because the foods they eat are actually more harmful. (got his book after reading the one Melissa recommended) kisses to Charis!!

Anonymous said...

You are hilarious. I am so out of it that I haven't seen the ones you mentioned but I get what you're saying and I totally agree. I definitely have my soap boxes (I boil internally at the thought of the FDA) but I haven't been so bold as to but it out there.

jen hunt said...

You make me laugh. A lot. Out loud.

Unknown said...

I TOTALLY AGREE. I WILL DVR A SHOW
RATHER THAN HAVE TO SIT THROUGH ALL
THE COMMERCIALS. DO THEY REALLY
THINK WE ARE SO GULLIBLE. BUT ON ANOTHER NOTE, WE DI REMEMBER THE
PRODUCTS IN THE WORST COMMERCIALS
FIRST. LOVE TO YA GUYS

Unknown said...

that last comment actually from
barbara