Wednesday, June 2, 2010

These Girls

I met them four years ago when I started leading Young Life at Country Day. A couple moms wanted to start a bible study for their daughters. So I signed up to lead this group that we call GMO (Girls Morning Out). We met every other Friday at a church across the street from their school where we ate breakfast together and got to know Jesus a little bit more. The group started out large, but over the 4 years we began meeting every week and eventually moved to Caribou, then the group dwindled down to a hand full of ladies.
Every week we met at 7am at Caribou. I would come with some favorite or meaningful passages or scriptures to share with them. Most of the time I didn't have a "lessen" planned, but I wanted to share life with them and tell them more about Jesus. My hope for them is that they would desire to follow Him and love others because of Him.
I love these girls. They make me believe that I can mother a daughter. They have taught me along the way. They have let me in on their lives and they've been willing to allow me to do the same. They were so excited for me when I got pregnant and have spent lots of time loving on Charis. The Lord has really allowed me to live life with these girls...to talk about not only the things going on their lives, but mine as well.
They graduated last week and in the fall will go to Virginia, UNC, Auburn, Davidson, Bucknell, and lots of other schools scattered across the East. I will miss them tons. They are the first class that I've walked with for 4 years from 9th to 12th grade. It's been amazing to get a front row seat. Of course, I can't help but think of ways I should have been more honest or more bold. I really want them to get it. I want them to choose life and truth, instead of all the cheap imitations. I will continue to trust God with them and pray for them. I hope to know them a long long time. I hope one day I'll get to see what they become and maybe even meet their husbands and children. I'm in this for the long haul, not just 4 years.
sadly, i didn't get a graduation picture b/c Charis was ready to go home, but here a couple from the year.

at our Annual GMO Christmas Cookie Party!!


some of the girls celebrating me & baby girl!

No comments: