Monday, May 2, 2011

hoarders

Hi, I’m Amy and I’m hoarder. “hi amy.”

My desire is stronger than my motivation, but I have some serious spring-cleaning to do. In the 5 years we’ve been married this is the first place we’ve lived with an attic and I am ashamed at how much crap we’ve saved/accumulated/stored up there. I would love to live a minimalist lifestyle but I am also very sentimental. I hold onto things “just in case.” And for nostalgia. My goal is to clean out the attic and really get rid of the stuff. It’s just stuff. If it turns out I need 20 frames I can go buy a new one or the many vases I’ve saved from our wedding.

This past weekend I climbed up to the attic to see what’s going on up there and start sorting to purge. It’s a strange process and I know it gets messy before it gets clean. I came across a bin marked “Amy’s old stuff.” This stuff has been through lots of moves and I’m surprised it’s made it this long. First there is a yellow pillow with my name cross-stitched on the front and my 2 baby blankets. Keeping those. Then there is a shoebox of stuff. A few old wallets. My mom’s pearl necklace she wore in her senior picture. My recorder from 5th grade. My disc man that I got for Christmas in 1993 or 1994. My old stamp & coin collection. My Glamour Shots proofs from 8th grade. And the worst thing I found was a stack of movie & concert ticket stubs dating back to 1991. That is 20 years!! Movie tickets. What the heck! I mean-if I’ve held onto them this long I should keep them, right? Wrong! I had to throw them away. And I have to admit I’ve wanted to dig them out of the trash a few times. Why? I’m not really sure. I’m sure a counselor could unpack that for me. But I had proof that movies used to cost $3.50 and $4.25 and $5. The good ole days. I have to admit that I did hold onto a few concert tickets, namely Tom Petty, which was my first ever concert in 1991 that I went to with my youth group. And Lenny Kravitz in 1993, which was my first solo concert. I did throw away the Charlotte Hornets Stay in School Jam ticket though. I have my limits.

I just need to shed the stuff. I know that is going to feel really good. And hopefully make us a few extra bucks at our summer garage sale.

1 comment:

Laura said...

There are many reasons I wish we lived in the same place, but one of the shallower ones is I would LOVE to help you clean things out. It is one of my favorite things to do.